*1920's...a cold, dreary San Francisco afternoon, zooming in on a corner tavern, black and white*
It was cold, wet, and foggy in the city by the bay. A portent of things to come. I was in my favorite gin joint with my best gal Rose when I got the news; bad news. We were doin' a little talkin', a little boozin'... I was in a good mood despite the weather, what, with good drink, good conversation, and a fine lookin' dame sittin' next to me, things were lookin' up. My phone rang and I snatched it out of my over coat in a draw that would have made an old west sheriff proud. Rose grabbed my arm and said, "Don't answer that, johnny, you're supposed to be spending time on me today." "Don't gimme no guff, kid. I'm an important man with important business." "Whaddaya got for me, slick?" I barked into the phone. "It's Joey, down at the bike shop." he pauses. "I got some bad news for ya Johnny." "What kinda bad news? Out with it!" I say. "Are ya sittin' down Johnny?" he says. "Yes I'm sittin' down, I've been sittin' in this dive all afternoon, now what's the deal?" I say. "We've been workin' on your bike for hours, Johnny. Ya might wanna come down here and see her. I don't think she's gonna pull through." "Not gonna pull through?" I roar. "She was doin' fine when I brought her in this morning!" He cuts me off..."You know she wasn't doin' ok Johnny...that creaking when you'd pedal uphill and when you sit down hard on the seat.. You should really come down and...say goodbye ...before it's...before it's too late. I'm sorry, Johny." I let the phone drop from my hand. I feel like someone hit me in the back the head with a hammer. I down the last of the gin and slip Rose a bill. "Get yourself a cab, sweetheart, it's starting to rain. I'll ring you later." She gives me a sour look and walks out the door. I follow her a minute later, and trudge through the rain, overcoat and hat soaked through, to pay my last respects.
*zoom out upwards and away from man walking in the rain.*
It went a little like that. I'm planning on ordering a new frame and using most of the parts from the wrecked bike on it. I'm sad. I was attached to that bike. Oh well...

everyone's got a bike but me.
4 comments:
Wow. You should write old black and white films for a living. I had a complete visual there. I'm so sorry about your bike! :(
Noir worthy of Sam Spade or Philip Marlow. Nicely done.
thank you.
I down the last of gin and slip Rose a bill. "Get yourself a cab, sweetheart, it's starting to rain. I'll ring you later." She gives me a sour look and walks out the door.
That is absolutly freakin' perfect.
Post a Comment