Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A day in the life

"What did you do today Rose?"
-So glad you asked!

For starters, I woke up about 7:20, as I'm attempting to prepare my body for the endless summer of day shifts. You get up to ride public transportation at 5:30am, it's not for the faint of heart, rest assured. I proceeded to make myself a strong cup o' coffee (never as good as when Johnny makes it) and half-ass study for several hours. I have one final left. It will never end!

I emailed my landlord to tell him he should lower our rent-Rose in school+pre-recssion rent+ rising tuition costs=we're super poor- and applied to a temp staffing agency for techs so I can try to work more than full time this summer-we're really freakin' poor. I then met my friend in a stripmall I had no idea existed. This is exciting because:

A. It means I never have to go to one of those horrid, fake made-to-resemble-a-small-town-that-never-was (Village Point, anyone?) again. More importantly, it was built on an ultra toxic Indian burial ground thanks to a former Sherwin Williams plant that used to be there (after the N. Americans, of course). The contractors helpfully built the whole thing on stilts so as not to disturb too many graves, which were unceremoniously dumped in a massive pit. Would they pay for relocation? Noooo, sir. I can only hope that classic horrorfilm-style haunting results.

B. They have a full-size Pier One. I reveled in the glory of ridiculously ornate tumblers and an alarming number of animal statues for the better part of an hour. My friend and I ran around trying to outdo each other's finds of bizarre bird and giraffe ornamentation. What does one do with such things, anyway? Recreate a fond memory of visiting the zoo? I know, I know, it's unhealthy to be so excited about home furnishings, but there it is.

-This just in: our cat just farted as loudly as any red-blooded, beer-swilling man ever could dream to. I'm a little concerned, because he immediately vacated the premises and normally he seems to quite enjoy his own fragrance. Hmm.

Anyway, back to my day before the, er, interruption. I in turn introduced my friend to a wonderful local grocery that has everything from mac n' cheese to cherimoya. She was thrilled. Then she one-upped me by taking me to a japanese grocer that has frozen unagi! It's ready to eat, seasoned and everything, all you have to do is heat it up and it's like a sushi monster came to your house and gave you a monster portion of warm, toasty unagi goodness. Hooray! Johnny has been practicing his bartending skillz, so I even had the requisite happy-hour drink. Tasty.

Now I'm unwinding after writing a paper that was sprung on us last minute before finals. Johnny's catching some z's because he's training for his new job on days. He has to be there by 6:00am, so he's getting up at 4:30. He takes the car for good reason. I can see the light, as it's his last week of training and he likes the new job much better than his old one! Hooray!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I snorted out loud here at work reading about Shinra.. that cat is amazing!

Amber