Monday, January 22, 2007

cXs in SF

Last night, Rose and I got all dolled up and headed downtown to the DNA Lounge to catch my favorite darkwave/synthpop/electroclash/blah blah blah band of all time the Cruxshadows. San francisco's goth scene is a little different from the midwest...most notably the age of the goth scene...I would say at least half of the attendees were over 35, which isn't old by normal standards, but I didn't see very many spooky folks that old in Omaha/Kansas City. There were all the time-honored traditional "types" of goth folks; the pirate shirt wearin' Lestat look-alike, the underwear as outerwear vampire(I bet those girls were cold!), cyber-goths, rivetheads, uncle fester look-alikes, a few crow look-alikes, and spooky ninja, which I had never seen before. The stage was about 4 feet high, so there wasn't as much interaction between the band and the audience as I'm used to. All in all, it was an enjoyable evening. Ego Likeness and Ayria opened up (we just missed Ego Likeness...on purpose.). Ayria was ok...female vocalist, kind of poppy dark club electro. Cruxshadows played alot of new material, and since I got the new cd after the show, I didn't know about half of the songs...my first impression was that the new album was a little more mainstream and poppy than their previous stuff...but I never like anything the first time I hear it. at one point Rogue climbed the balcony on the second floor of the club...it didn't look like had very secure footing. (pics below) After the show we spent about 90 bucks on merch...I went a little crazy...but I have been trying to get another hoody for like 4 years, so I didn't feel bad. Anyway, good show, good time. Imperative Reation is playing here on Valentine's day, that should be fun...they're serving black cupcakes with BLOOD RED hearts on them! I can't take it! Right now I'm enjoying a cup of Pi Lo Chun green tea from Red Blossom. Very good.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have the same issue with new music. I'm not sure if Pandora is making it better or worse. I just gave thumbs-down to five songs in a row. Maybe that's why I gave up on radio when I was a kid.