
At the behest of my honorable husband, I am doing a little movie review for the Spanish film Pan's Labyrinth. Visually, the movie was stunning. The movie takes place in an old wooded area, which provided a dark, murky background for the vibrant colors of the characters. The monsters and various creatures of the film are rendered with more attention to detail than most American movies often provide. That, however, is where my enjoyment ended. Not to give away too much, but it's definitely a very melancholy film with a great deal of gratuitious violence. Maybe it's because I get my fill of blood and guts at my day job, but I just don't take as much pleasure at seeing what fx people think we look like when we're mutilated. My bigger issue with the film is that I felt teased. I spent the entire 2+ hours thinking I'd get to see more of the fantasy realm that is introduced in the film, and that we'd spend more time with the denizens of that place. Oh well.
2 comments:
I thought the movie was fantastic, as my review alluded to, but I agree with you that there wasn't enough of the faerie tale aspect. That's pretty much all you see in the trailers, but it really only encompasses maybe a third of the film.
But what there was of it sure looked great. The guy with the eyeballs in the palms of his hands, very cool.
i liked it a lot. as you both have said, a little more in the fairy tale realm would have been great, but it would have ruined the overall dark ambience of the movie. my favorite guy was Pan. I loved the whorls in his face/head/horns.
Post a Comment